Sunday, April 2, 2017

Be Prepared, Be Flexible

While at the convention in Anaheim, I attended a workshop named "Be Prepared, Be Flexible". The presenter was Carly Danek, a photographer for BTN11 (Break the News, Channel 11 from Minneapolis, Minnesota). She and a reporter she works with discussed how to deal with unexpected circumstances, such as an angry neighbor or burning houses. By listening to them speak from their own experiences and hearing their answers to our questions, I learned techniques that I could use for my own film opening.

For example, by planning out multiple locations in which I can film my video while getting the same message across, I minimize the chances of putting myself in a situation where I can't film.
Rereading that it sounds a bit confusing so imagine this situation:
I go to film at the Anaheim Hilton hotel like I discussed in a previous post. The only day I have time to film, it begins to rain. Most of the action took place outdoors, in front of the main entrance. However, if I found places inside the hotel where the actors can do the chase scene, while still getting the same message across even though the location has changed, then I no longer have an issue and I can still film the opening on that day.

Another thing I learned that I found very interesting is that you can film on any property unless there is a no trespassing sign. The example Danek gave during the presentation was more for news purposes but she later touched on how this affects any type of video whether it's for broadcast journalism or film entertainment.


This is a YouTube video called Reporter Confrontation. The BTN11 employees from the workshop filmed and reported on this story. The man who tried to attack the reporter and cameraman was drunk at the time. Lightning had struck the pool house and cinder block fell on the people inside. Breaking news that's worth covering, right?
Well, this man was extremely upset with the fact that these journalists had come to get the full scoop on the story. Notice how the whole crew is on the opposite side of his fence, in an empty lot. In the beginning of the video, the man says that the guy who owns the property they are standing on would not like them to film there. 1) Nobody is allowed to speak on behalf of someone else's property. 2) There was not a no trespassing sign, therefore making the situation legal. 
Of course had the man who owns the lot called up the news station afterward and threatened to get a lawyer involved if they refuse to erase all of this footage, that'd be a different story. 

What I learned here is that I can be more flexible when choosing the locations I shoot at, and I have the law on my side if I ever get into a situation like the one above. 

I can implement this workshop when filming my opening because I have learned how to deal with situations from weather conditions to legal issues. Should I find myself stuck in some sort of problem, I am confident that I will be better at handling the situation now that I have attended Be Prepared, Be Flexible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment